What can I do for you?
I do research projects and
consulting on various consumer packaged goods and agricultural products. I can
design and execute consumer research on brand image, purchase intent,
packaging, pricing, advertising tests and more, this can help you answer
questions such as:
- How does my product stack up against its
competitors in consumers’ eyes?
What are the closest rival products?
- What is the likely effect on consumers of a brand name or label
- Which package changes will best support my price and image
- How will different pricing
or communication affect my target consumers?
I also carry out industry research
on such topics as supply and demand trends, consumer demographics, business
strategies and economic trends. These studies can help you
- the long term outlook for consumer demand for my type of
- whether your grape costs are likely to rise or fall. Is this a good
time to lock up grape contracts or go with the spot market?
- what is your optimum product mix, given your vineyards and
- the interaction of the wine trade with local economics and trends. What
is the likely effect of economic or demographic changes on your
I have experience in training
and working with sales and marketing employees to use research in sales
and relationship management. I can aid your sales and marketing force in:
- preparing effective fact-base sales presentations.
- developing product-positioning strategies based on consumer
- managing and exploiting category management trends in retail
- using software to sport and analyze sales trends.
Among the many projects I have
completed in the last three years:
my specialty is the wine business, there are many other consumer goods that
have similarities to wine in terms of fragmented small producers, widely varying
grades of quality and prestige, complex distribution channels and differing
consumer images and usage. Chocolate, olive oil, craft or microbrew beers,
artisanal cheese come to mind. The market research and analysis techniques I
have applied to the wine business can also give insight and direction in these
- Multiple studies of consumers who buy wine direct from
the winery or online, distinguishing motivation, wine preferences and buying
Major study of the economic impact of wine and
winegrape growing on the Oregon economy
Quantitative tests of packages and labels
Brand positioning and perception studies for several
wineries ranging from large conglomerates to small high end producers
consumer awareness, perceptions and visitation for various
California and French appellations
Surveys of wine club and mailing list members
on customer service, club offerings and brand image